|CNY Hiking HOME PAGE||NCT - Allegheny National Forest||NCT in Pennsylvania||North Country Trail|
North Country Trail in Pennsylvania
In Moraine State Park, hikers can get a view of Lake Arthur, as well as a good night’s rest at the historic Davis Hollow Cabin, which is operated as a hostel by the park and North Country Trail volunteers. There is also the Link Road Lean-To along the trail.
While in the park, retrace some of George Washington’s steps with a stop by The Old Stone House, a popular starting point for the annual Cherry Pie Hike, which celebrates the founding father’s expedition to the area.
This 14+ mile section of the North Country Trail is a popular section of the NCT. Look below for some pictures of the park, descriptions of the park trails, maps of the NCT within this section and a link to a pdf map of the state park.
Hiking Trails in Moraine State Park
The trails at Moraine State Park are all open to hiking. The North Country National Scenic Trail passes through the park and there is a lean to along the trail for those through hiking on the NCT.
- Hilltop Trail is a "moderate" hiking trail, 3.0 miles long. It is marked with green blazes. The trail begins and ends near the Bear Run Boat Launch. The trail is flat and grassy in sections before rising to steeper areas. It passes through different stages of forest regeneration, past bluebird houses and the remnants of a spring house.
- Sunken Garden Trail is a "moderate" hiking trail, 3.0 miles long. It is marked with pink blazes. The loop trail begins and ends near the Pleasant Valley Boat Launch. The trail passes through a stand of white pine, a small pond and along the edge of Lake Arthur.
- Pleasant Valley Trail is an "easy" hiking trail, 2.6 miles long. It is marked with yellow blazes. Pleasant Trail passes over hills and through valleys on the south shore of Lake Arthur.
- Wyggeston Trail is a "moderate" to "difficult" hiking trail, 4.5 miles long. It is marked with orange blazes. The trail begins just west of PA 528 on Christley Road and ends at Old Route 422. The trail is rough and rocky and passes through an undeveloped part of the park that includes historic remnants of an old house foundation, stone fences, and a historic oil pump house.
- Glacier Ridge Trail is a "difficult" hiking trail, 14 miles long. It is part of the North Country Trail and is marked with blue blazes. Glacier Ridge Trail connects Moraine State Park with the Jennings Environmental Education Center.
- Five Points Trail is an "easy" hiking trail, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) long. It is marked with light green blazes and is near Lakeview Beach and the cabins.
Maps of the North Country Trail in Moraine State Park
Click on the maps above for a closer look at the trail
Map of Moraine State Park
|CNY Hiking HOME PAGE||NCT in Pennsylvania||Map of Moraine State Park|