|CNY Hiking HOME PAGE||Hiking in Yates County||Bristol Hills Trail in Italy Hill State Forest|
Hiking in Yates County
Italy Hill State Forest
Italy Hill State Forest is located ten miles north of the hamlet of Prattsburg. This forest is located in the town of Italy, Yates County.
Recreational opportunities in this forest focus on rustic experiences with a limited amount of development. The Bristol Hills Branch of the Finger Lakes Trail gives good access to the northerly and central portions of the forest. The Yates Snow Travelers Association (YASTA) maintains a snowmobile trail in the southern portion of the forest.
Most of this forest will require significant walking to access. The forest is popular for all types of hunting.
Users should exercise extra caution when accessing stream corridors. Gentle streams become steep sided gullies very quickly in this area. The shale bedrock which forms the bottom of most of these gullies can be very slippery.
Today, Italy Hill and all state forests and multiple use areas in New York are managed for multiple benefits to serve the needs of the people of New York. Sustainable management practices ensure a perpetual supply of timber, a diversity of wildlife habitats, compatible recreational opportunities and clean water.
State Forest Regulations
Anyone enjoying the use of this State Forest must observe the following rules which protect them and the forest environment:
- Do not litter. Carry out what you carry in. Burying of refuse is prohibited.
- If you build a fire, do so with care and use wood from dead and downed trees only. Never leave a fire unattended.
- All motorized vehicles are restricted to access roads posted as motor vehicle trails. Off road use of motorized vehicles, such as ATVs, trail bikes and four-wheel drives is not allowed, except where specifically permitted by signs, posted notice or by DEC permit.
- Camping for more than three nights or in a group of ten or more requires a permit from a Forest Ranger. Camping is prohibited within 150 feet of water, roads or trail.
- No permanent structures should be established, including tree stands or blinds.
To gain access to this forest from the Prattsburg area, proceed northerly along County Route 122 (Prattsburg - Italy Hill Road) to the hamlet of Italy Hill. Continue straight ahead, following Pulver Road, to access the southern end of the forest.
Important Telephone Numbers
Fire and Law Enforcement : 585-226-6706 or 911
State Forest Office (M - F; 8:30 am to 4:45 pm) 607-776-2165
|CNY Hiking HOME PAGE||Bristol Hills Trail in Italy Hill State Forest||Bristol Hills Trail|
|State Lands SW of Syracuse||Pigtail Hollow State Forest||Urbana State Forest|